Velcro Sewing Tips | How To Sew Velcro

Velcro was first invented by George de Mestral in 1941 and ever since, it has been an important part of fashion. However, many struggle on sewing velcro because of its tough fabric.

Fortunately, we have some velcro sewing tips below so you can easily sew velcro on your small projects such as bags and purses and some clothing.

Velcro sewing need not be frustrating and time consuming if you follow these tips. The trick here is to properly set machine tension, have the correctly sized needle, and use the right presser foot.

Velcro Sewing Tips

1. When cutting your Velcro, avoid cutting through the hooks or loops and make sure you have the proper size.
  2. Align your hook and loop pieces by using pins.
  3. Set your sewing machine’s tension for medium or heavy-weight fabrics.
  4. Make sure that you’re using a sharp, heavy-duty needle and apply a needle lubricant. Check your sewing good store for them.
  5. Use the special presser foot in your machine for the hook and loop closures.
  6. If your sewing machine doesn’t have that, then try using a zipper foot. Move your needle either left or right while carefully sewing on the part of the Velcro where there’s no hooks or loops.
  7. Final velcro sewing tips:

• You can use beeswax as a needle lubricant.
    • Never use Velcro that has an adhesive back because this will gum up your needle and make sewing harder.

11 Comments »

1. Tericycle Said,

June 27, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

could never figure out why my mother had a little container of beeswax near her sewing table. Found out the hard way not to use adhesive-backed Velcro. thanks for the reminder and memory!

2. Lynko Defo Said,

November 18, 2014 @ 11:40 am

The sew on velcro only has that plain edge on one side. How do you sew the edge that doesn’t have the plain edge when instructions tell us with a machine to not sew on the hook or loop part? Also do you have a video on sewing velcro using the zipper foot/ Thank you.

3. Analil Said,

November 21, 2014 @ 8:28 pm

All of these rules apply only if you have a weaker domestic sewing machine. My vintage Bernina never has any issues sewing velcro. No need to adjust tension, no need for beeswax, no problems with adhesive velcros. A good sewing machine truly takes you a long way, and if you’re taking sewing seriously try searching for a semi-industrial machine.

4. CharlieVoid Said,

January 4, 2015 @ 1:26 am

Well might I have had these tips before I wouldn’t have used adhesive back velcro, but it went surprisingly well ! I just used 70% rubbing alcohol on the needle afterwards to take away the leftover glue but other than that I had no problem (I didn’t even use any special tension or anything). I must be really lucky 😉

5. ruth Said,

June 12, 2015 @ 11:08 pm

Try a bar of soap or run needle through your hair.

6. Marian Said,

June 24, 2015 @ 9:11 pm

I love the idea of using the zipper foot, I wouldn’t have thought of that foot, so really great tip on that. You mention not using adhesive backed velcro and I wouldn’t do it either for fabric oriented velcro uses, but what I do use to help me hold it in place and line up is glue stick type glues, or Roxeanne’s glue, allow it to dry (doesn’t take very long) and then sew. These types of glues are not known to gum the needle, and if their is any gumming at all it’s usually very little gumming compared to what you’d get if you used adhesive backed velcro or heatnbond.

7. misha Said,

July 4, 2015 @ 2:38 am

What nonsense. I’ve never had problems sewing velcro. My domestic singer just chomps right thru it.

8. Janice Said,

January 5, 2016 @ 5:18 am

Well, Misha, aren’t you the lucky one. You must be the perfect seamstress … Did you forget to take your happy pill this morning?

9. Joan Said,

January 10, 2016 @ 2:12 am

I only have problems if I am stitching to something I’ve invested a lot of time on…. I have had good luck the last couple of times stitching the Velcro to a separate piece of fabric, folding the fabric under and stitching fabric to fabric. It looked pretty good actually, Velcro isn’t reallyhe prettiest thing.

10. Janice Said,

December 27, 2016 @ 8:45 am

Great hints, should have skipped the comments. Bullies are every where. Mishap your statement was your experience and I accept it as fact. The response it received was unnecessary.

11. Nana Said,

January 23, 2017 @ 11:34 am

Misha, please keep your positive attitude. It helps to spread cheer. Life is too short not to enjoy the things you do.